KnowledgeAhead 1-8 is a series of eight books for creating general awareness, acquiring information about things and events around us, and for developing functional life skills important for day-to-day life. Topics from every sphere of life such as sports, arts, science, travel, history, food and religion are included. KnowledgeAhead is designed keeping in mind that we are in the Internet age where information is easily available and therefore imparting encapsulated bits of information to students to be memorized has lost its relevance.
The series has been revised to:
- Update information and make it more relevant for today—London Olympics has been added in Book 4.
- Include Life Skills to help students deal with day-to-day life— e.g., Bk 4, pg 35; Bk 3, pg 12; Bk 6, pg 37
- Improve layout and streamline the text flow The design of the series is characterized by:
- Imparting a sense of completeness to the information provided by giving background and related material, so that the information is no longer a collection of isolated facts to be memorized
- Using what the children have learnt in other subjects as a springboard, and building on it, rather than repeating what they have already learnt
- Linking topics to everyday life to create interest and increase understanding
- Including information of the kind that students will not easily get from written sources
- Devoting a special section to the important life skills of creativity and problem solving
- Encouraging children to use the most powerful information tool of today—the Internet—to find out themselves